(Makes approximately 16 hors d’oeuvres-sized cakes)
1 lb. Lump crab meat (picked over)
1 Rib celery, diced fine
1 Small shallot, diced fine
½ Red, orange or yellow pepper, diced fine (optional)
2 T Mayonnaise
Dash cayenne (optional)
⅓ C Panko (plus more for dredging if desired)
Butter and EVOO for frying
1) Thoroughly combine celery, shallot, pepper, egg, mayonnaise, and cayenne.
2) Add crab and Panko, and gently fold in.
3) Form gently into approximately 16 patties. Allow to rest in refrigerator for about 1 hour. Just before cooking, dredge in additional Panko if desired.
4) For each 4 cakes, melt 1T butter in 2T EVOO, and fry at medium heat until golden on first side (about 2 minutes), flip, and fry for another 1½ to 2 minutes.
5) Serve with lemon wedges and/or your favorite tartar sauce.